Here is a sampling of some recent research. We welcome undergraduate involvement in research. Please reach out to the researcher listed for more information.
Dr. Dawn Anderson-Butcher, College of Social Work
- Riley, A., Anderson-Butcher, D., Logan, J., Newman, T., & Davis, J. (2016). Staff practices and youth outcomes in a sport-based positive youth development summer camp. The Journal of Applied Sport Psychology. 27, 371-383.
- Anderson-Butcher, D., Wade-Mdivanian, B., Davis, J., Paluta, L., Gibson, A., & Wilson, M. (in press). Building coaches’ skills in addressing child abuse and neglect. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance.
- Anderson-Butcher, D., Riley, A., Amorose, A.J., Iachini, A., & Wade-Mdivanian, R. (2014). Maximizing youth experiences in community sport settings: The design and impact of the LiFE Sports Camp. Journal of Sport Management. 26(2),
- McDonough, M., Ullrich-French, S., Anderson-Butcher, D., Amorose, A.J., & Riley, A. (2013). Social relationships predict social competence among low-income youth in sport-based positive youth development programs. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 25, 431-447.
- Anderson-Butcher, D., Riley, A., Iachini, A., Wade-Mdivanian, R., Davis, J., & Amorose, A. (2013). Exploring the impact of a summer sport-based youth development program. Evaluation and Program Planning. 37, 64-69.
- Riley, A., & Anderson-Butcher, D. (2012). Participation in a summer sport-based youth development program for disadvantaged youth: Getting the parent perspective. Children and Youth Services Review. 34(7), 1367-1377.
- Amorose, A.J., Anderson-Butcher, D., Newman, T., Fraina, M., & Iachini, A. (in press). High school athletes’ self-determined motivation: The independent and interactive effects of coach, father, and mother autonomy support. Psychology of Exercise and Sport.
- Lower, L., Newman, T., & Anderson-Butcher, D. (2015). Validity and reliability of the Teamwork Scale for Youth.
- Research on Social Work Practice. 1-10.
- Amorose, A., & Anderson-Butcher, D. (2015). Exploring the independent and interactive effects of autonomy-supportive and controlling coaching behaviors on adolescent athletes' motivation for sport. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology. 4(3), 206-218.
- Iachini, A.L., Amorose, A.J., & Anderson-Butcher, D. (2010). Exploring high school coaches’ implicit theories of motivation from a self-determination theory perspective. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching. 5(2), 291-308.
- Amorose, A.J., & Anderson-Butcher, D. (2007). Autonomy-supportive coaching and self-determined motivation in high school and college athletes: A test of self-determination theory. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 8, 654-670.
- Amorose, A.J., Anderson-Butcher, D., & Cooper, A. (2009). Predicting changes in athletes’ well-being from changes in need satisfaction over the course of a competitive season. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 80(2), 386-392.
Dr. Chris Knoester, Department of Sociology
PI, National Sports and Society Survey (see a list of current projects are using NSASS data)
Knoester. Chris, and Victoria T. Fields. 2019. “Mother-child engagement in sports and outdoor activities:Intensive mothering, purposive leisure, and implications for health and relationship closeness.” Online first
Knoester, Chris, and Theo Randolph. 2019. “Father-child sports participation and outdoor activities:Patterns and implications for health and father-child relationships.” Online first in the Sociology
Heffer, Holly, and Chris Knoester. "Gender, Socioeconomic Statuses, and Healthy Behaviors: Implications for Teenagers’ Subjective Health" (under review)
Tompsett, James, and Chris Knoester. "Family Socioeconomic Status and College Attendance: A consideration of individual-level and school-level effects" (under review)
Dr. Nicole Kraft, Journalism, School of Communications
- Team iPad: Training athletes in academic mobile technology (with Missy Beers and John Davidson)
- Academic Use Of Mobile Technology By Student-Athletes at a Large Division I Midwestern University: A Grounded Theory Study
Dr. Trevon Logan, Chair, Department of Economics
- "Heterogeneity in the Monetary Value of College Football Recruits [pdf]" (with Stephen Bergman)
- "Empirical Analysis of the Transfer and Exit Decisions in College Football" (with Matthew Pekarek)
Dr. Brian Turner, Associate Professor, Sports Administration