Ohio State's Sports and Society Initiative is committed to advancing research at all levels of the university, especially among our undergraduate and graduate students.
2019 Presentations and Submissions from SSI-funded Students
- Davis, Evan, and Chris Knoester. 2019. "Analyzing the Great Sport Myth: Evidence from the NSASS." Presented at the 2019 North American Society for the Sociology of Sports meetings in Virginia Beach, VA.
- Rockhill, Carter, Knoester, Chris, and Brian Turner. 2019. "Sports and Non-sports based Racial-Ethnic Prejudice."
- Presented at the 2019 North American Society for the Sociology of Sports meetings in Virginia Beach, VA.
- Tompsett, James, and Chris Knoester. 2019. "The Making of a College Athlete: High school experiences, socioeconomic advantages, and the likelihood of playing college sports." Presented at the 2019 North American Society for the Sociology of Sports meetings in Virginia Beach, VA.
- Tompsett, James, and Chris Knoester. "Family Socioeconomic Status and College Attendance: A consideration of individual-level and school-level effects" (under review)
- Ungureanu, Tiberiu. 2019. “Complementarity and Competency-Destroying Events: A comparative study of the American League and National League, before and after the introduction of the designated hitter.” Abstract submitted for the 2020 MIT Sloan Sports Analytic Conference Research Paper Competition.
- Williams, Alexander, Brugler, Seth, and Benjamin Clarke. 2019. "A Fast Approximate K-Nearest Neighbor Machine Learning Algorithm for NFL Career-Arc Regression.” Abstract submitted for the 2020 MIT Sloan Sports Analytic Conference Research Paper Competition. Full paper invited for review.
- Williams, Alexander. 2019. “Rationality and Efficiency in NFL Gambling Markets.” (under review)
Also, this semester, faculty affiliate Ryan Ruddy is working with team of students to explore research in a variety of areas related to data analytics. They include:
- Can we use AP rankings to predict the probability of winning?
- How Much Does Weather Affect Quarterback Performance?
- Econometric Analysis of Performance Efficiency in Professional Baseball
- The NBA’s Shooting Revolution
- Handedness Effects in Professional Golf
- Did the Browns make the right choice?
- Determining the Impact of an NBA Player’s Physical Measurements on Value in League
- A Study on the Relationship Between Larger Payrolls and Winning Percentage in the NBA
- The Impact of Offensive Line Output and Experience on Defensive Productivity
- Effect of Hard Knocks on Team Performance, Fan Attendance, and Betting Odds
- Variables Influencing NFL Attendance
- Optimizing Fantasy Football: A Regression Analysis on Weekly Quarterback Selection
- Predicting NFL WR Statistics Based on College Success
- The Top 6: A Competitive Balance Analysis of the English Premier League
- Do Analytics Matter?: An Analysis on the Impact of Sabermetrics in Major League Baseball
- Analyzing Tommy John Surgery Effects on Major League Pitchers from 2008-2018
- Predicting NFL Success for Heisman Winning Quarterbacks
- Effects of the Shot Clock